Monday, November 4, 2013

Why You Need A Pet Sitter?

 
Most people don't think they need a pet sitter. Many of the reasons they feel this way is because they are unclear about what a pet sitter does. I found this video explaining some of the unknown.



Too many times, our pets are left alone. Or maybe we have a neighbor checking on them. But, how do we know we really know that they are being taken care of? Now, don't get me wrong, I am not saying this just because I want the business. I am saying this from a pets advocates point of view. There is no way, I would leave my dogs in care of a neighbor or the 10yr old son to come over and just feed and give it water everyday. I would want my dogs to be out running around, socializing with eachother and not have to stay in a "pen" to live in their waste for days til I return.

And don't get me started on a kennel. About 5 years ago, my pets were victims of me "not knowing better" and have them boarded at my vets' office kennel. What a mistake! No, they were not physically harmed, but they were soooo stressed out when I picked them up. The oldest, Puncho, was 1 and the other one, Tyson, was 1 also. Puncho is a full blooded American Stafford Pit Bull, while Tyson was a shepard mixed breed. I immediately saw that Puncho appeared "thinner" by his back end area. Which lead me to know that he didn't eat well. Tyson on the other hand was normal. Both, excited to see me though. VERY EXCITED!

The vet assist came out and handed me the shirts in a bag that I had left for them (they ask you to bring in a shirt with your smell on it to help with the transition of me being gone for both of them). Even though she wanted to hand me the bag and go back to work, I had to question her. I had to gain my composer first. Then I asked about how was their days while I was gone. She replied (with alittle of attitude) "the pit howled a lot and wont eat nothing and the other one just laid around." Instantly my heart felt sympathy for them because knowing that they had never experienced anything like this (being put in a kennel with strangers and other dogs around them too). And Puncho howled like that when he wanted to be let out to pee. She said "he howled the whole weekend" which meant he was never let out of his cage the entire time I was gone. I could just picture him standing at that doorway howling loud enough just to go out to pee. While he was looking and waiting for me, but I never came. How SAD?

The thought of him not eating either, really made me feel bad. Here he was locked in a cage. Somewhere he has wasn't familiar with. Looking and waiting for me, his mama. Its been over 4 years since then, and I still get a little choked up about it.

We must start treating our pets like more than an animal. True that's what they are. But, they're also our companions. Most of all our best friends. No matter how you treat them, they ALWAYS forgive instantly. And come right back to love you more.  They depend on you everyday. To feed, protect, and love them! Take a moment and look into their eyes....they tell the story.

Love your pet just as much as they love you!

Continue the journey with me on my website www.curbsidepets.com or https://www.facebook.com/curbsidepet

No comments:

Post a Comment